Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Blog Entry #9                    
State of The 'Fat Tuesday' on
North Korean Nukes,
A Standoff with a Wild and Crazy Ex-Cop,
That Dangerous Drone Rex Reed and his Strike on
Melissa McCarthy's Ginormous Pączki.



Some might say that today was no different than any other day in American news.I'd say that today was uniquely jam-packed where news is concerned. Like an enormous Pączki, filled with a gooey concoction of Korean nuke tests, the murders by and shoot out with LA's ex-cop Christopher Dorner, President Obama's call to reform the laws on assault weapons and Rex Reed's assault on Melissa McCarthy.

There was a lot going on, so in light of all this unease, it just seemed silly to focus on my big ass, even if it would offer some light hearted escape.  I just can't do it in the way that I would like to. So, I'll focus on one of the most disturbing news item of the day -  the attack on Melissa McCarthy. 

I know - "Why on earth would you focus on that, Jean?" I'll tell you why. Because in a day of such epic concerns, the American media is still interested in what one ignorant, attention seeking, irrelevant critic has to say about the size of a beautiful and talented actress.  We are still a country of sizeist bullies, even though plenty of people came to Melissa's defense in retaliation.  

What the hell America? Is this what we really care about in a day like today? Yes, we are a celebrity obsessed culture, where what we are is more important than who we are, but when a news item like bullying a fat girl is just as important as a nuclear detonation, it makes me want to hide from the rest of the world. The world that looks at America as if we are the drunk relative falling into the hors d'oeuvres table.

I also watched a tiny bit of Katie Couric's show today, where she talked with women who have been raped while serving in the US military. A documentary called "The Invisible War" was created to shed light on the subject. It reveals that in almost every case, ZERO punitive action was taken against the offenders.  The film production team has pushed for policy change in this matter and Secratary of Defense Leon Panetta has changed some policies, but no where near enough change to match the consequences of such offenses in the civilian world.

It's been said and debated before, but now more than ever, I believe that there really is a war on women. Whether it's picking on fat actresses, rape in the military or countless other events around the world that denigrate women, these are the news items that stood out for me today.

So, excuuuuuuuse me if this is the only light hearted offering I can muster today. If your like me and you feel frustrated about the headlines, just do what I do - chew a few Bit-O-Honey and call the Psychiatric Hotline.



Next Blog Entry - The Search for a female Pope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS SO MUCH for your support, comments and suggestions! I will review your post and publish it asap!