Tuesday, January 29, 2013


Blog Entry #6.               The Call Back Diet                                   

Don't judge me. There are times when you just have to reward yourself for a job, possibly, well done.  Today, I had the opportunity to do a call back for the play I auditioned for last week. I'll find out just how "well done" a job I did in a week or so, when they make their casting decisions. In the meantime,  I am very happy to have auditioned twice for a play as meaty and funny as this one, for a director with a very impressive resume, whom I'd never met prior to the first audition. When all of that is on the table, it's time for a mini celebration - in the form of chocolate. And only ONE piece of chocolate!

Proud of me? Don't be. I found that one piece of chocolate in the Barcalounger while fiendishly hunting for that #$%&! nail polish that I wore at the first audition! (pant, sweat, stub toe, pant some more)

YAY! I found the nail polish and went to the coveted  call back!

I think all that frustration is worthy of a piece of chocolate, don't you? You can bet your life that if there were 2 or 3 or 10 pieces of chocolate I likely would have eaten them all. So, it was a big ass deal that I waited until I got home to eat that one stinking piece of chocolate! I also had a glass of wine. I only have a drink at home when I have company, and after auditions or performances, to "come down", as it were. Yes sir, I can finally kick off my sensible shoes, cut myself out of my Spanx, open that ONE piece of chocolate and consume the remaining calaries for the day in the form of a crisp, unpretentious but formidable for it's vintage, white wine.

Now, let's review the audition. Like many actors, I question every choice I make at the call back.  Mainly because it's my last chance to get the role. That's it. But deep down I know it's pointless to bother with doubts because whatever I think worked or didn't work could be miles off from what the director thought worked or didn't work.  On top of that, this very nice, young, organized director with a very impressive resume, was very hard to read. He had me read 1 scene with 1 other actor and 1 monologue from the play. That's it and no 2nd reads on either. In and out in about 8 minutes. (insert sex joke here) Just like the first audition.

So, the question becomes - Was I released early because he loved me and didn't need to see any more from me? Or was I released early because he hated me and didn't want to see any more from me? Ooooh, yeah. It's like that. It's even worse at times, but I don't want to scare you off.  Some of this neurotic musing is designed to entertain you, and some is real. You'll never know which is which. That's all the power I have at the moment and I'm holding on to it.

This level of doubt does not happen as frequently for other experienced actors who audition 5 or more times per week in New York, Chicago or LA. Those actors are auditioning for stage, film, television and radio on a regular basis. Well, let's just say, they audition much more often than actors in Cleveland, anyway. If they are really good, well known for their work and connected, they barely have time to obsess about auditions. Those of us in the hinter lands take our opportunities to heart. And after the audition, we have to live among the close knit acting community, hoping we can survive the let down until the next loin-girding opportunity.

So, after a piece of chocolate and a glass of wine, the next logical thought is - "I was FANTASTIC! Why do I doubt myself? Silly, magnificent Diva!"  Then I slap myself, get into my prettiest jammies and re-paint my nails that I smudged rushing out the door earlier. 

It really was a pretty triumphant day in small measure. While hunting for that damned nail polish, I found that 1, precious piece of creamy, Hershey's milk chocolate "Nugget", sprinkled with shards of almonds...and toffee and wrapped in shiny gold foil, like a miniature bar of 24K gold, glistening in the dusty darkness of my milk chocolate brown, leather Barcalounger recliner.  *sigh*   Why couldn't there have been TWO pieces of chocolate? 

Um...what was I talking about?  OH! Not only did I find the piece of chocolate, I ALSO FOUND THE REMOTE CONTROL THAT WAS MISSING FOR 2 WEEKS! WOOHOO! You'd have thought I found an entire bag of that chocolate when I found that thing. It happens to be the color of dark chocolate.    

   If only it could change this...                         and this...                               and this.....
      

and MY BIG ASS!     Maybe I need D batteries.  Maybe Ron Popeil will invent something.  Hurry Ron.

Ah well, maybe the remote can't magically change my unwanted parts. I am lucky to have found 2 out of 3 things that I needed today. Everything but my cat. My Weirdo. If he had come home today would my good lucky mojo have expired, making it impossible to be rewarded with my cat and an acting role? Is that how it works? I used to be a fairly 'glass half full' sort of person. I used to be fairly giddy while everyone else in the room was jaded, cynical and full of fear, and I used to wonder "what happened to those people to make them so insecure?" Now    I know. They were aging, gaining weight and searching for the one source of affection that has suddenly disappeared.

Look, I  know I'm being ridiculous. I know that I'm a very fortunate woman in many ways. 1. I have a loving family. Well - it's large enough to do the rounds and stay in one place just long enough before things get too ugly, anyway. 2. I have a large handful of loyal friends. I used to have more friends, but I don't need a lot of friends. I need loyal ones. 3. In one form or another, I do what I love for a living.  4. I work from home...hell ...5. ...I HAVE a home!  6. I have my health...mostly. And 7. I have the privilege of being fat enough to go on a diet while much of the world is starving. 

Did you know that there are roughly 7 billion people in the world? With an estimated 925 million being under-fed/under-nourished (13.1 percent), that means almost 1 in 7 people are hungry on a daily basis.  Sobering information as I sip my $6 wine.

So, at the end of this day, and every day, I know how fortunate I am to be a whiny actor who just had an opportunity, a meal and a glass of wine. 

I know it's all ridiculous on many levels, but as long as I'm here, playing in this sand box, I'm going to have my occasional gripes about how often I get to play and when I can get the prettiest bucket. HA! See what I did there? Bucket - aka butt, ass, derriere! oooookay, i'm finished.

Ya know, typing to you makes me feel better. The wine helps too. I can now put my audition, my remote and my fears in their proper place - for now.









Damn - Where is that cat? 

6 comments:

  1. Jean-just had to let you know how much I love your postings! I think we could have been sisters in another life - that is, if I wasn't Irish Catholic and much older! Thanks so much for your hilarious musings on acting, dieting, aging, love of pets (especially cats), auditioning...LIFE! Love, love, love! I have attended your Marketing Your Voice class and sat in on one of your Voice classes and once I retire from this full time job I will be back to hopefully restart my voice-over career. Meanwhile keep blogging and I'll keep praying that Wierdo finds his way home, you get that part and the weight finds it's way to another body...just not mine as there's no more room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jean...

    I just wanted thank you for your funny, honest, vulerable and oh so rea; blog entries. It is a priviledge to share your journey and beyond helpful (and inspiring) to know that I am not alone in my battle, frustration and agnst over my weight (unlike you, I have always been a fatty...and your current weight is so much closer to my goal than the current extra 100 pounds that I am carrying on my relatively petite frame. I too am 5'4 and a bit even though my resume says 5'5.) as well as the endless questioning of my gifts as actor, director and/or teacher. After an almost 10 year respite from the theater and teaching, I am at a place in my life where I think I am ready to return to work. the question is ...what work and will anyone want/need what I have to offer. I am finally old enough to play the character roles that I was too young for but am I castable at all. I am 49 and feeling biiger than ever. It is a hard predicament for sure. As much as I long to feel attractive and be that 50 year old that turns head (for once in my life...), I really want to get healthy. My knees hurt. I am uncomfortable in my skin. I feel like a failure. I am tired of being that all or nothing kind of girl. I don't want a diet that will inevitably fade and return to eating habits that sabotage every effort. I don't want to lose another 30 pounds only to turn around and gain 50. I don't want to train for a marathon (I actually ran a half marathon two years ago). I want to move more and eat less. I don't want food to control me. I don't want to binge eat when I am feeling sad, happy, lonely, inadequate, bored or busy. I don't want to obsess about every calorie that I put in my mouth creating elaborate charts monitoring every gram of protein, carbohydrate, sodium and sugar. I want to eat healthy unprocessed food, drink more water, elimate 'crap' and move more...move A LOT more. I want to walk, and dance and play. I want to swim and bike and find wonder in what my body can do. I started my new year's resolutions with a bang. Two weeks of healthy eating and more trips to the gym. I lost 5 pounds...then life got in the way...again...I splurged. I drank wine and nibbled dessert and the next morning I got on the scale and was up 6 pounds. I lost my resolve. I was frustrated, angey...defeated. For two weeks, I threw in the towel. The scale moved up another pound, maybe two. Today is a new day. I am in this for the long haul. While I want to be the biggest lose and drop 2 pounds in a single week, I know that this is a LONG process...an endless process. I will take it one step at a time. I will be kind and gentle with myself. I will focus on the good. I will celebrate who I am and where I am at. I celebrate you Jean. I think you are beautiful and funny and fabulous. You will make it to your goal and you will (we will) learn so much along the way. When we are througgh, maybe we can write and star in a two woman show chronicaling the triumphs and tribulations of Two fat girls on the verge of a break through....sending much love, light and goodness your way as you continue on this road of self discovery and transformation. YAY you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lanie! I certainly remember you! It was great having you visit my class & marketing seminar. You're so talented. I hope we can finally produce your demo.

    I'm also 1 of the many people that love to view the pictures of your adorable grand kids. I'm just thrilled that you like the blog - it's such fun to do and it's a great release. If you're so inclined, I recommend it.

    Love - your sister from another mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous! I only just now saw your post or I would have replied sooner. I am so honored that you shared your experience, even as an anonymous contributor. It's tough putting yourself out there, but when we share ourselves it takes a great load off, doesn't it? (pun intended ;P)

    This business of making a sincere commitment to turn my health around and SHARING it is all a first for me, so this process has made me feel reborn and I hope the same for you.

    I suddenly have other people, like yourself, who I am accountable to. I have you to share with, support and be supported by. I love this opportunity so I thank YOU! It means a lot to me to know you are there. As for being an actor in this situation - well, we all know that there are no guarantees. Add to that - I have a deep fear that if I lose all the weight that I want to, I'll find out that it wasn't my weight that was holding me back from roles, it was because they all hate me! Or I suck! Or...pick a ridiculous reason...that's my fear. Now, that's not to say that in some cases those scenarios aren't true. I know I have enemies out there. Hell, I've worked with some of them, but deep down, my fears are irrational.

    I have to tell you, the Green Coffee Bean supplement has been working! I honestly am much less "hungry" (ie: binging for no reason) AND it regulates sugar levels. I have type II diabetes. Since I AM eating less, I have suddenly realized that when I DO binge, it's only to celebrate something! Like when my cat returned home! WOOPEE! LET'S HAVE SOME CAKE! I really did make a cake. Then I was over it and gave half of it away. That was a revalation. I could see when I eat too much and NOT eat it all. I attribute that to the Coffee Bean Suppliment. Even if it ISN'T because of that, I THINK it is and I'll take that as a triumph...with no celebratory binge afterwards.

    I've also come to realize that, in many ways, it's easy to stay fat. I eat what I want, no one asks me to do any heavy lifting and I never have to face those fears about my talent/lovability/potential for real success. It's easier but it's suicide. THAT word is my wake up call. I have to love MYSELF much more than I do. If I don't take care of myself, I must want to die younger than I should. That idea of a "suicide mission" may seem like a stretch, but it's real for me. My level of self acceptance is directly in proportion to my health/weight.

    So, when all else has failed, ask yourself "Do I love myself enough to talk myself down from this ledge?" Yeah, I know...it's a very Oprah moment. Well fuck those naysayers, I LOVE me some Oprah psychology. It worked for her and it can work for us.

    Until the next time we "chat"...I'm here with my version of an inflatable mattress, waiting to catch us both. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 to you and Weirdo!! You are a joy to watch, listen to and read... and when I read your "Ron Popeil..." comment, all I could think was - "But, wait..." like those infomercials!! "For just $19.95 - you get 2!!" Ha!!

    But, seriously - I am so blessed that I met you last summer for your VO class in Pgh - couldn't make it thru the entire thing (regular life sucks) but, will again sometime soon. Perhaps you should think about a second career as a writer? Absolutely & positively enjoy reading your "diary!" Yes, this reminds me of that lil' book we used to write in with all our secret desires, now known as a "blog." Who in the world created that word?! Or LOL, for that matter?

    You should seriously write a book... The True and Tried Life of a Cat From Cleveland... ;)

    Jean - you give me a reason to smile!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pittsburgh! Thanks for your sweet words. Since you posted anonymously, send me a private message on fb to let me know who you are. And come back to class in March! xo

    ReplyDelete

THANKS SO MUCH for your support, comments and suggestions! I will review your post and publish it asap!